[Rhodes22-list] POLITICAL-The Good News from Illinois (NYTimes)

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 12:18:15 EST 2008

Ben,

Merry Fitzmas!  For those of us who grew-up (using the term loosely)
in downstate Illinois, this latest development is the greatest thing
that's happened since, well, maybe Christmas!  Unfortunately, the
tentacles of this thing will reach far beyond Illinois at a time when
our nation really doesn't need this shit. My brother and business
partner in Mississippi ran his own construction company in Southern
Illinois for over 25 years. He never ventured farther north than the
line from Peoria to Champaign because when you get close to Chicago
the rules change.  He did work as a sub for some Chicago contractors
who would tell him stories to reinforce why he needed to stay out of
Chicago.  Unlike what Obama said on Tuesday, "this is a sad day for
Illinois", quite the opposite is true.  This is the best thing that
happened to Illinois since Lincoln rode the circuit as a young
self-taught lawyer.

Brad