[Rhodes22-list] Penetrol more additional comments

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 17 17:28:47 EST 2008

Joe,

Spider feces.  They are a real problem at my dock. How do you use penetrol on metal?  I've been using mineral spirits as a cleaner on my plane but with limited success in one specific area.  Throughout the 50's, Beechcraft used "tar", an undercoating like material sprayed on the inside of the belly skins to keep them from "tin canning", ie, flexing and making noise. Over time (60 years in my birds case) the belly collects oil, fuel, brake fluid, etc., and the tar gets "gooey".  I've cleaned about 80% of it out but the last 1" next to the stringers is still hard and mineral spirits is slow to soften it.  Penetrol?  I'll have to research the reaction to aluminum.  Most folks don't replace the "tar", they just wear noise cancelling headsets.

Brad