[Rhodes22-list] Penetrol on metal-Robert, Brad

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Thu Dec 18 09:54:36 EST 2008

Ed,

I am in the middle of setting up my 2009 computer files, so my complete
R-22 files are not at hand.

There were a number of excellent Penetrol discussions in the past
centered around adding Penetrol to varnish in varying proportions to
take advantage of the penetrating quality of Penetrol and the ability of
good varnish to provide a base coat that did not sag.  The chemists in
our midst recommended precise Penetrol percentages decreasing in
succeeding layers until the finish coats contained no Penetrol and
consisted solely of 100% top-grade varnish.

There was a guy who spoke of using this technique on old telephone
booths for the telephone company.

Razz provided a number of how-to postings.

Some said Penetrol was mainly linseed oil, and that linseed oil did just
as good a job at a fraction of the price.

Can you help point people to some of these discussions?  Don't trust my
"facts" above -- it's all coming from memory.

My memory...and it ain't what I think I remember it used to be.

Bill Effros