[Rhodes22-list] Airlines

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 18:11:12 EST 2008

Jb,

One of the unique aspects of SWA is that they don't micro-manage.
They give even the lowest levels of employees the authority to "do the
right thing" and don't beat them about the head and shoulders if they
screw-up.  If they do screw-up, they ask, "what did you learn, what
can we learn?"  I was living in Nashville and dating a SWA gate agent
when American closed their Nashville hub.  She got a call the next
day, "we're opening 13 new gates tomorrow".  The dozen or so Nashville
employees went out and bought poster cardboard, wrote SouthWest
airlines and drew hearts, duct taped them to the gates, and opened for
business.  The first SWA airplane that landed had 30 agents from
Dallas on board who stayed in Nashville for a month and partied and
worked their asses off until locals could be hired and trained.
Remember, these were UNION workers.  They love their company and the
company loves them.

Pretty simple.

Brad