[Rhodes22-list] Politics: Brad -- What Does He Mean?

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 07:35:37 EST 2008

Bill,

Where's Rahmbo?  Awfully quiet out there for an incoming Chief of
Staff of a new Administration.  The Big O is facing the same problem
as Nixon, only worse. If you had nothing to do with the burglary, er
Senator deal, just say so and let the chips fall where they may. Once
you start down the cover-up path you keep digging a bigger and bigger
hole. Blago sure is acting cocky these last few days - makes one
wonder what cards he's hiding.  Now here's the part of the story that
no one has covered.  Why did The One want Jarret as a Senator to begin
with?  Her track record as a slum lord is as bad or worse than
Rezko's. Hell, Kennedy from New York looks extremely qualified
compared to Jarrett.  I guess the press is too busy covering a new
puppy for the White House to be bothered will reporting real news.
Attached is the latest from the Sun Times.

Brad

---------------

December 18, 2008

BY NATASHA KORECKI Federal Courts Reporter nkorecki at suntimes.com

President-elect Barack Obama's incoming chief of staff Rahm Emanuel
had a deeper involvement in pressing for a U.S. Senate seat
appointment than previously reported, the Sun-Times has learned.
Emanuel had direct discussions about the seat with Gov. Blagojevich,
who is is accused of trying to auction it to the highest bidder.

Emanuel talked with the governor in the days following the Nov. 4
election and pressed early on for the appointment of Valerie Jarrett
to the post, sources with knowledge of the conversations told the
Sun-Times. There was no indication from sources that Emanuel brokered
a deal, however.

A source with the Obama camp strongly denied Emanuel spoke with the
governor directly about the seat, saying Emanuel only spoke with
Blagojevich once recently to say he was taking the chief of staff
post.

But sources with knowledge of the investigation said Blagojevich told
his aides about the calls with Emanuel and sometimes gave them
directions afterward. Sources said that early on, Emanuel pushed for
the appointment of Jarrett to the governor and his staff and asked
that it be done by a certain date.

At least some of the conversations between Emanuel and Blagojevich
were likely caught on tape, sources said.

After Jarrett took herself out of the running in mid-November, Emanuel
submitted a list of suitable names to the governor's camp that didn't
include her name.

Emanuel, who has refused to comment on the issue, is not accused of wrongdoing.

In portions of conversations released in a criminal complaint against
Blagojevich, he can be heard complaining that Obama wouldn't give
anything in return for a Jarrett appointment.

Contributing: Fran Spielman