[Rhodes22-list] Politics: Upping the Ante

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Fri Dec 26 14:54:00 EST 2008

Brad,

This line brought a smile to my face:

"The 38% of the nation that doesn't pay taxes will hang on to their
fantasy just like the average eight-year old hangs on to believing in
Santa Claus because the alternative is just too painful."

I just got back from Christmas celebrations with my mother (and family).
A few weeks back, when she was up here shortly before the election (for
mine & my sister's birthday celebrations), when the discussion turned to
politics, she said I wouldn't like who she's voting for. I asked who and
she said Obama. I smiled, and said it wouldn't make any difference, he
wasn't going to take Texas anyway. She was ready to bet me that he
would. I had to explain the electoral college process to her (she's 76,
but she really hasn't been involved in politics).

So, we were there for Christmas, and again the discussion turns to
politics (not her discussion, other family members). I made the comment
that her choice looked like he was already headed for legal trouble. She
had no idea what I was talking about (she really doesn't keep up with
politics). My brother started the broad picture, and I filled in some of
the details.

About the time we finished, she finally said "Don't tell me anything
more about him. I've finally found a president I like, and I don't want
to hear any bad stuff about him."

Hang on to the fantasy indeed...

Herb Parsons