[Rhodes22-list] Politics: Upping the Ante

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Sat Dec 27 12:38:49 EST 2008

Robert,

Actually, many people around here (Greenwich, Ct.--NYC) will never in
their lifetimes do nearly as well as they did before the reality of this
situation started to hit.

They didn't save enough when times were good.  They didn't put their
money into truly safe investments.  They are in the middle of projects
they can't complete.

When a government effectively owns your bank, you know you will never be
offered the kind of deals you could get when everyone thought they were
the kings of the universe.

Many have lost jobs that will never again exist. And they don't know
anything else.  As a practical matter, Brad won't hire them, either --
Brad will hire younger people who would have become bankers who will
learn other professions instead.

Nobody, myself included, has the slightest sympathy for these people as
a group; although their individual stories can be heart-rending --
especially those who were making money honestly in fields that will
disappear.

Most of these people are toast--and no amount of government intervention
is going to change that.  The people who are planning to "redistribute
the wealth" will, at some point, discover there is no wealth to
redistribute.  Only when we, as a nation, start to again work hard, and
discard the lottery mentality, will things start to get better.  Slowly.

I doubt most of the formerly wealthy will ever get back to where they
were.  They are left with a lot of things they don't really want.

Bill Effros