[Rhodes22-list] Politics: Upping the Ante

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Sat Dec 27 07:23:06 EST 2008

Bill,

Here's more on La Hood. This idea of spending near a trillion or so on
2 million, no, make that three million jobs now (hell, since we're
pulling numbers out of our ass why not make it five million?), is not
a completely bad idea.  We've lost at least a third of our illegal
immigrant work force and this is just the thing to get them back.  Do
you think those unemployed bankers and stock brokers hanging around
your dock would like to learn how to operate heavy equipment?  I'm
thinking about using ours to open a school. Surely there's some money
at Education we can find for our deserving students.  Just how many
tits does the 'gubment' have anyway? I don't want to get stuck
suckling on the left rear hind one!

Brad

-----------------------------

>From the WSJ

    * DECEMBER 26, 2008

Obama's Secretary of Earmarks
His Transportation nominee is a spending superstar.

Barack Obama wasn't kidding about the audacity of hope. In tapping
Republican Illinois Congressman Ray LaHood to head the Transportation
Department last week, he got more Beltway hosannas for bipartisanship.
At the same time he managed to choose one of the biggest spenders in
Congress, of either party, and just the fellow to push $850 billion in
"stimulus" out the door.
[Review & Outlook] AP

Congressman Ray LaHood.

As a long-time and stalwart Member of the House Appropriations
Committee, Mr. LaHood facilitated the incontinent spending that helped
Republicans lose their majority in 2006. And he did so
unapologetically, once telling a reporter for the Peoria Journal Star,
"The reason I went on the Appropriations Committee, the reason other
people go on the Appropriations Committee, is they know that it puts
them in a position to know where the money is at, to know the people
who are doling the money out and to be in the room when the money is
being doled out."

Mr. LaHood was also among those who most resisted backbench GOP
efforts to curb earmarks. "If people like Ray LaHood and others aren't
able to earmark dollars, that money will be spent by some bureaucrat
in Washington, D.C.," he said earlier this year. "And who knows better
how to spend money on worthwhile projects than a community and an
individual Congressman?" We'll be fascinated to see how he interprets
that governing dictum now that he's on the other side of Pennsylvania
Avenue.

According to Taxpayers for Common Sense, in fiscal 2008 the
Congressman secured $62.7 million in earmarks for his district --
either alone or working with other Members. That put him in the top
10% of House pork-barrelers. Mr. Obama repeatedly said during the
Presidential campaign that the earmarking system should be overhauled,
yet he's elevated to his cabinet a Machiavelli of this system.
Related

    * Bridges to Everywhere

Mr. LaHood's thin background in transportation policy also makes him a
curious choice. Rodney Slater, who served under President Clinton, had
been Director of the Federal Highway Administration. Norm Mineta, his
successor, had previously headed the House Transportation Committee in
Congress. The current Transportation Secretary, Mary Peters, was
Arizona's Director of Transportation Policy. Mr. LaHood, who's
retiring from Congress after 14 years, once served on the
Transportation Committee but was not particularly active in those
issues or debates.

On the other hand, with Mr. Obama planning what looks to be one of the
largest single increases in federal spending in history, Mr. LaHood
may be exactly the man for the moment. Though a Republican, as a
fellow politician from Illinois he's also well known to Mr. Obama and
his new chief of staff, Rahm Emanuel. The only "change" he represents
is the greater share of American income he'll eagerly spend.