[Rhodes22-list] Another view (Political David B. and Brad)

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 08:03:32 EST 2008

Ed,

This post will be about language and bias so it should be within the
boundaries of the list police. Notice in the comments to David's
article that it's perceived as perfectly OK to mention "ignorant
Southern white males" all you want. Go read DailyKos or Democratic
Underground or the comments section of any major newspaper and you'll
spot the same pattern.  Read any article about Sarah Palin and then
read the comments.  See how many times you spot the words, ignorant,
hick, redneck, uneducated, etc.  People remain uninformed about
Palin's significant accomplishments because they choose to remain
uninformed, they're much happier with their prejudices and bias. Some
on this list can "look in her eyes" and deem her worthiness.  How
silly is that?  This is not about Palin, she's done quite well without
my help, but it is about the very thing the "Magic Negro" so-called
scandal was about - language.  Is there a Department of Words
forthcoming to enlighten us on what is acceptable?  If so, I'd like to
submit "ignorant Southern white males" and "redneck slut" to the list.
 On second thought, forget that, the last thing we need is more
government. If Bobby Jindal continues to rise in politics, will there
be a point where he is no longer open for criticism by virtue of his
pigmentation? Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Dr. King's dream
that his children be judged by the content of their heart and not by
the color of their skin?  That works for me.

Brad