[Rhodes22-list] Deregulation and Da List

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 12:36:30 EST 2008

Ben,

Let's talk boats and boat building for a bit, shall we? Leon Slicker
(builder of my boat) is a consummate businessman and a not so small
boat builder.  I give him a slight edge on Sir Stanley only because
the quality of his gel coat is 1/10 of 1% better.  Other than that,
they've both followed the same path - built a better mousetrap and
survived several cycles of the boat building business.  Short of
plunking down $300K for a new Tiara (or $50K for the next limited run
of 7.6M racing sailboats) I'll never get a tour of the S2 factory.
You can have one at the Rhodes-22 factory just for the asking.  Be
careful what you wish for.  Two seconds after my first meeting with
Stan he said, "I have a bone to pick with you".  His gripe was legit
and I respect his naked honesty.  Stan didn't survive this long in an
industry with a thousand carcases by being stupid. If he likes the
list the way it is, it must be good for business, or at least good for
his soul.

Another wise man I know was asked one time after he quit his job,
"Louis, are you so independently wealthy that you don't need to work?"

 "No, I have just enough money I don't need to work for you" - Louis
Haslett (circa 1970)

When Stan asks us to knock it off I suspect it will be brief and to
the point.  And, we'll sit on command.

Brad