[Rhodes22-list] Future of Da List

John Lock jlock at relevantarts.com
Tue Dec 30 18:01:45 EST 2008

Hi folks,

It is not my intention to commandeer the list and bend it to my
will.  I believe that is wrong.  But I do feel a responsibility to
set some limits because it will make the list a more valuable resource.

Ben - Yes, a wiki is a great idea and has been on my short list of
improvements when I get some elusive spare time.  I also agree that a
forum format would better serve the group, but that opinion has been
in the minority.  People love their e-mail.  However, I would be
happy to install a test forum for people to try out if there was
enough interest.  (FYI - think sailnet.com style forums, not nabble.com.)

Bill E - Thanks for the reminder about alternate search methods for
list, but that syntax doesn't work for me.  I had to use "rhodes22
penetrol" (no ":") to get any results.  More specifically you can use
"site:rhodes22.org penetrol" to just search the main list archives.

And to all who responded in like fashion "the list has always worked
like this, leave it alone." - I'm not buying that.  That doesn't mean
it can't be improved and it doesn't mean it's always been
right.  Anytime we lose a valuable list member due to caustic
rhetoric we're poorer for it.

I also do not believe that that we all have to hang around and bypass
the stream of verbal effluent as some sort of penance for getting a
quick answer when we do have an actual sailing question.  There has
to be a better way.

John Lock