[Rhodes22-list] Future of Da List

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Tue Dec 30 19:24:22 EST 2008

John,

We went through lots of lists before we got to this format, and a lot of
work was lost in the process.  The list has not always worked like
this.  This format has endured longer than any other, and we found we
could keep people active for much longer if instead of restricting the
scope of the list, we opened it up, discussed personal matters, told
jokes, discussed politics, and treated each other as old friends.  The
list is like an extended family.  We see each other off-list.  We all
have many interests beyond boats.

When push comes to shove, a very small number of people wind up doing
95% of the work. Then new people come along to tell us what we've done
wrong.

All the answers you need for a lifetime are contained in the archives,
and it is relatively simple to download, access and search them.  But
nobody is going to do that.

I wrote stock answers for my list, but it took almost a full year to get
the answers to the point where I could anticipate 99% of the questions
asked.

I now tell them that my book is the FAQ, and I refer them to my book
whenever they ask a question that is answered in the book.  I have
considered writing a book about the R-22, and would be open to the idea
if others will help.  I don't anticipate that anyone will make any money
on the R-22 book, but it might help Stan, and it might help whoever is
in charge of maintaining this list.

The search syntax keeps changing.  I got more answers with my syntax
than I got with yours.  We should write a stock answer to cover that
issue.

Hard economic times will drastically reduce the number of newbies.  We
will be mainly talking to each other for quite a while. If we reduce the
acceptable topics people will drop off the list at a rapid clip until
the list just shrivels and dies.

The device of inserting Politics: or Joke: etc. in the subject line has
been extremely effective.  Almost everyone adheres to this convention
almost all the time. We can easily teach people to set junk filters if
they don't want to see jokes or politics.  There is no excuse for anyone
to drop off the list because they don't want someone else to express
their opinion.  That's always just an excuse for some other problem, and
we're not going to solve that other problem by changing the way the list
works.