[Rhodes22-list] a new world is coming to the rhodes22 list

Metaphor mwager at bluecrab.org
Tue Dec 30 23:55:01 EST 2008

MichaelMeltzer wrote:

> 2)      The problem is the people using "mean sprite" , pounding on
> people,
> people on ego trips that they must change the world by changing the view
> of
> the members, being a PITA

Thank you.  When I made a couple of outrageously negative posts this summer
towards the the posters who have been challenged the past couple of days
(weeks), I had hoped that the tone of the "bar" might ameliorate a bit, so
that sailors without agendas might participate in a forum about the Rhodes
(one of which I own) and about sailing in general (of which I sail/race on
two other boats); neither of which happened.  The vast majority of posts
have been about politics, (of which I have my own views) but don't factor
into my sailing. I sail boats to get away from that stuff, and the basic
conversation about sailing departed this list a while ago.  Now,
occasionally there is a sailing post, (which I've read) but that is probably
one-in six-to-ten threads (conservatively) and that is not enough to qualify
as a sailing forum, especially one dedicated to a specific style of
sailboat. Simply saying "search  the archives" does not always answer the
question asked, and although it does make the old timer on the list feel
superior to the newbs... it sends them away with a bad feeling about Rhodes
sailors.  Couple that with the overtly political bent of some of the most
verbal posters, and the impression perceived is that this list does not want
nor welcome anyone who wishes to discuss sailing or sailboats, or any other
subject in a non-confrontational manner.

I'd like to learn more about tweaking and sailing the Rhodes22, sailing the
Chesapeake Bay, and other waters, wherever they are.  I like reading about
trips, techniques and trivia, and I don't enjoy one-sided (right or left),
soapboxes. More sailing, and I promise that once the mid-Atlantic sailing
season begins again, I'll post some of my sailing adventures, gunkholes,
race reports, etc,... if anyone is interested.  If all people want is
political diatribe, I will not engage, not out of weakness perceived by the
four or so posters who seem to "own" the "virtual" bar, but because I
probably would not engage you in a fruitless discussion in a real pub.

I belong to other forums, and none is less topic-oriented as this one has
become in the last two years, and although I lurk for the most part, rather
than actively post simply for the sake of posting to hear myself in print, I
would like to see the Rhodes22 forum be more than what it aspired to be.  To
that end, I will refuse to engage in useless argumentation, ad nauseum, with
posters who have only their agendas, and limited interest in sailing issues.
As I said before, there are other forms that are geared toward politics,
where the type of argumentation that seems to have hijacked this list is
welcomed.

Some might say that the list is best as what it is now, but looking over the
archives in the past two months, I have to disagree.  There was a lot
contributed by a lot of contributers, few of which bother to post now.  The
value is going down, and the responsible parties (of which I will include
myself) are to blame.  Sailors' bars more than naught talk sailing.  This
one rarely does. Stop in the MYRC or Carpenter Street in St. Michaels on a
Wednesday night, and see how much talk is about non-sailing issues. Go to
Oxford, Maryland or East Port, Annapolis, and try to pick a political
fight-- you'll either be ignored or called a derogatory name, then ignored,
and if you persist, someone (or a group of someones) will you show you the
way out of the bar.

Let's get 'da List' back to a sailing list.  :)