[Rhodes22-list] Potash Spill at Kingston TVA Plant

TN Rhodey tnrhodey at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 09:44:57 EST 2008

Brad - East TN is red clay and rock. I built a screened in porch last summer
and of course it rained the day after I dug the holes for footers. The clay
holes filled and stayed filled until I emptied. Solid red clay! I guess it
could be worse. Watts Bar Nuke Plant is around 20 miles down river.

This is the first Potash spill of this magnitude. There was one in PA (I
think) but it was much smaller. This is a real mess and clean up will be
costly.

It saddens me greatly to see my lake polluted like this. The near by area is
well noted for the large Blue Heron rookeries. There are hundreds of nesting
Blue Herons, Green herons, Ospreys and King Fishers in the area. The area is
also home to 2 long term nesting and breeding Bald Eagle families. Luckily
most of these birds are gone for the winter. The river upstream is well
known for trout, otter, and beaver. I feel like the crying Indian in the old
60s anti-litter commercial.