[Rhodes22-list] Potash Spill at Kingston TVA Plant

brad haslett flybrad at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 31 09:04:41 EST 2008

Wally,

That's a nasty ash gap in that dam.  What kind of soil do you have there?  Clay content?  I built two ponds in Middle Tn that all the "experts" including my neighbor with a Vanderbilt civil engineering degree, said would never hold water because of the underlying limestone layer and high sand content in the soil.  We disked in soda ash (learned that trick from a farmer) and then ran over it with a vibratory drum sheepsfoot roller - worked like a charm. Ironically, fly ash is also sold as a soil binder as well as a binder in concrete.  We've built a number of ponds in MS (not my brother's primary area of expertise) and went with what we knew worked from previous experience - soda ash  if you can't get enough clay and lots-o-compaction.  It will be interesting to see what methods and materials the TVA used. I just got off the phone with Gary from our morning brief and his quick-and-dirty analysis was, "under engineered or over filled, or both, glad
 we didn't build it!"

Someone's going to take a bullet! I hope it's the TVA but not if my electric bill goes up.

Brad