[Rhodes22-list] Potash Spill at Kingston TVA Plant

TN Rhodey tnrhodey at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 08:03:28 EST 2008

They keep upping the numbers. Latest link with photos and video of the area-
http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2008/dec/31/toxic-details-released/

from the article ....:On Tuesday, Tennessee Valley Authority spokeswoman
B.J. Gatten said that prior to the spill there were 9.4 million cubic yards
of material in the "dredge cell," and that after the spill, 4 million cubic
yards remained at the site.
In a toxic release inventory posted on its Web site, the TVA said releases
into the Kingston dredge cells included the following during 2007:

-- More than 1.4 million pounds of barium compounds.

-- More than 49,000 pounds of lead compounds.

-- More than 142,000 pounds of manganese compounds.

-- More than 44,000 pounds of arsenic compounds.

The above is not what was spilled but rather the amount of waste generated
in 07. Locals will not trust TVA to test water so TVA is going to pay local
utilities to check water quality. The water intake is just a few miles down
river. If the sludge dries some of this can become air borne.