[Rhodes22-list] List Mechanics: How to Use Filters

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Wed Dec 31 15:45:06 EST 2008

No one needs to see any email from this list they don't want to see.
Everyone's email program has a filtering mechanism that will take
selected email out of the InBox and deposit it into the Trash folder, or
any other designated folder.

I use Thunderbird, (formerly Eudora) which is available for Windows;
Mac; and Linux, so that is the filtering system I will explain.  I am
sure most other programs use a very similar filtering technique.

Starting from your Inbox, Select Tools/Message Filters.  (Don't start
from composing an email or anywhere else--you'll get a different set of
options when you click on "Tools".)

This will open a "Message Filters" box.  Click "New" to create a new
Message Filter.

This will open a box that is fairly self explanatory, but I will walk
you through one.

Let's say you don't ever want to hear anything I've got to say on this
list ever again.

First name the filter so you can find it back if you ever need to do so.

Let's name this filter "I Hate Effros".

Next, Click the button that says "Match Any of the Following".

Then press the drop down buttons to define parameters.

In this case, select "From" in the far left button.

"Contains" in the middle button.

Type in "Effros" (no quotation marks) in the right button.

or

"Subject" "Contains" "Politics:" -- you won't get any politics.

etc.

Now go to the box below and define the action you want taken every time
the parameters are met as set above:

"Move Message To"  "Trash"

"Delete Message"

etc.

That's really all there is to it.  If you only want sailing related
material, filter out Politics: and Jokes:

If you only want to read what certain people have to say you can either
filter them in, or filter everyone else out.

Everyone has all the tools at hand to be able to make this list work for
them the way they want it to work without restricting the activities of
anyone else or leaving the list.  Nobody has to kick anyone else off the
list to enforce their own censorship code.

Bill Effros