[Rhodes22-list] Two blind pilots (Humor)

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 12:47:53 EST 2008

Mike,

There's a few airplanes out there that will "bite you in the ass" when you
least expect it.  I don't know anything about the 737 but the 727 was a
biter. When I went through IOE (initial operating experience) with the 72 I
made all my initial flights in the 727-100 and the final go/no-go flight in
a 727-200.  The Check-Airman was one of my favorite Captains and I
re-arraigned my schedule to have him be the one to "sprinkle the holy water"
on me. He asked me how my landings had been and I said, "Bob, I hate to jinx
myself but they've been awesome, no shit!"

"We'll see soon enough"

We landed in EWR and the sight picture was sooooo perfect and wait, wait,
wait, this is going to be so sweeeeeeeet, then BOOOOOM!  I thought the
overhead panel was going to fall and smack us.  I was so embarrassed in
front of one of my mentors and heroes and didn't say a word until we got in
the cab for the hotel.  "I don't know what happened Bob, it was the same
sight picture I've been using in the -100 and they've all been squeakers".

"Son, jack your f*#k*ng picture up twenty feet!"

He later explained that the -200 was 20 feet longer and deck angles and how
that changed the angle of the gear and a whole lot of other stuff that did
nothing for my permanently damaged ego.

As another co-worker said one time after a particularly hard landing, "keep
flying the big pieces!"

I hate snarling dogs and smartass airplanes!

Brad