[Rhodes22-list] Melting Pot - Another Success Story, Or Not!

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Mon Feb 4 16:18:05 EST 2008

Brad, re. your last:

In condensed form, this says, "We either agree not to
discuss sex, religion, or politics (as someone who
disagrees MAY disturb the peace, kill innocents, or
take hostages, all of which are against law as it
stands and has stood for 200 years plus), or we allow
anyone to speak their thoughts, however deranged, as
long as they do not shout fire in a crowded space."

I do not see this as worthy of debate.  Nor, come to
think of it, do I see any reason to support PC with
the force of law.  There is no common law protection
against being offended.  Socially, "A gentleman is one
who never offends unintentionally."  Note the
qualification.

I bitterly disagreed with the removal of the Harvard
President when he was taken down for noting that there
were cognitive differences between men and women as
well as physical ones.  That cost Harvard any support
from me in perpetuity.

I am allowed to have no respect for someone else, and
to live with the social results if I make it obvious.
Under law, those results do not include wanton
destruction of property, mayhem, or murder.  Ostracism
is allowed.

/Robert