[Rhodes22-list] our stature in the eyes of other nations - was soup

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Tue Feb 5 12:40:32 EST 2008

Robert,

You and others are ignoring the obvious. We will NOT increase our
stature by electing a black president, or a female one for that matter.

We, both as a nation and as individuals, give freely to other countries
monitarily, yet we are called greedy and selfish.

We routinely revert nations we have conquered to their own leadership
and independence, yet we are called imperialists.

My comments had nothing to do with "standing by our allies". There is a
vast difference between standing by our allies, and electing a president
based on what it will do in the eyes of the world.

We should ALWAYS stand by our allies. That has nothing to do with trying
to look good in the eyes of those that are not allies.

I hope you see the difference. And please, in the future, refrain from
taking what I say out of context making it appear to mean something else.

Robert Skinner wrote:
> Herb Parsons wrote:

>> I DON'T GIVE A RIP about our stature in the eyes of other nations, and I
>> will NEVER choose a President on that basis.

> That, sir, is fairly retrograde.
>
> In an increasingly interdependent world, we need
> allies, and we need to stand by our allies.
>
> We may be an economic gorilla now, but balance of
> payments and foreign investments in our utilities,
> banks, and government (treasury notes) are all
> factors that witness against your attitude.
>
> We are not alone against the elements or the bad
> guys in a wild west movie.  Reality intrudes on
> our cherished cultural myths.
>
> Herb, please come forward into the 21st century
> and deal with our real and present problems.  As
> it is, your views, while attractive to many
> wishful thinkers, are out of step with what we
> face today.
>
> And don't put a "liberal" stamp on this.  There
> are also people on the left who are in Lala land
> - just a different one, and I call them out too.
>
> /Robert

Herb Parsons
S/V O'Jure - O'Day 25
S/V Reve de Pappa - Coronado 35