[Rhodes22-list] WX

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 12:15:44 EST 2008

Elle,

Cora is home today and I'm playing Mr. Mom.  Her school (five blocks from
our house) was hit and the power is out.  I watched the first front come
through, mostly on the deck, and didn't see or hear a thing.  Microbursts
are very localized in nature and most of the windshear accidents I use as
examples in the classroom didn't look that bad on radar.  Yesterday was a
strange and eerie weather day.

In the late 70's I flew a scientist from the University of Chicago following
the path of a tornado through Southern Illinois that finally found a trailer
park near Mattoon, Il killing about 50.  In the early 80's I flew a TV
camera crew that followed a 100 mile tornado path that killed several people
in Arkansas.  The saddest thing witnessed on that mission was a family of
four that crawled under their bed only to have a huge oak completely dissect
their home, killing all.

After 50+ years of living from one end to the other in Tornado Alley, I've
gained a great deal of respect for (and fear of) Mother Nature.

Fan's parents called this morning to see if we were OK.  The Chinese
government is pretty quick to air footage of natural disasters in the US to
take the heat off of them.  They're still trying to dig out from the worst
winter weather in 100 years.

Brad