[Rhodes22-list] Squirrel Question for Robert

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 12:44:48 EST 2008

Robert,

Diplomacy failed, negotiation ended in deadlock, and war has been declared.
My "re-education camp" for squirrels that steal tomatoes ended early because
the el cheapo soft-air pistol broke and never was accurate.  After $1500 of
tree work and $300 annually for the last five years for trapping expertise,
civil order broke down. I bought a $129 - .177 pellet gun from WalMart on
sale for $89.  It has a really nice scope for the money and after about 30
rounds, I can get a 5 shot pattern within a 3 inches at about 30 yards. The
biggest compromise is the trigger action - I try and squeeze gently but can
never predict with accuracy when it will trip. This morning I was 1 for 1 on
the corner of the house they use for ingress/egress.  It wasn't a completely
clean kill as he scampered off after hitting the dirt from the second story
but I think it's fatal.  He/she ran into the neighbors bushes and I didn't
go investigate whilst holding the weapon in my hand (air guns are illegal in
my Nazi community).

Here's the question.  What is the probable lifestyle of the "victim"?  Is it
likely that he has a domestic partner and I'm only half done?  What is the
other "half" likely to do?  The final straw for me was when I went to get
some clothes out of the closet and they were actively trying to invade my
home or create a new path for escape.  Will concentrating on the obvious
culprits be enough or should the war be expanded to the entire yard?

Brad