[Rhodes22-list] Squirrel Question for Robert

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Wed Feb 6 14:48:57 EST 2008

Brad Haslett wrote:
> Here's the question.  What is the probable lifestyle of the "victim"?  Is it
> likely that he has a domestic partner and I'm only half done?

Yes.  However, such partnerships only last
as long as a shore leave.  I would not
expect retribution.

> What is the other "half" likely to do?

A. Make more squirrels.
B. Make more squirrels.

> Will concentrating on the obvious
> culprits be enough or should the war
> be expanded to the entire yard?

Squirrels do not respect borders.  Your war cannot be local.

I suggest that you explore the "deterrance by example"
effect.  Trap a squirrel and record his reaction - see the
following clips for some idea of what you can expect.  Then
play the sound at random intervals day and night.  Your
neighbors will implore you to get rid of squirrels by any
means possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXQwIBg6i7E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbn_jP9LAaI&feature=related

Like an old 22 rifle with silencer loaded with long rifle
shot.  Don't use a new one.  The shot will screw up the
rifling.

Being a country kid, I have had some experience with fence
chargers.  You could place a wire across their path - say
6' off the ground - around your house.  It need not be
large, and you could use plastic standoffs glued to your
siding to hold it in place.

Or you might try keeping captive squirrel(s) somewhere
behind the house.  His piteous cries might deter
trespassers.

Or you could open your house to them and feel the love...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esGQ62SgKc8&feature=related

/Robert

http://unexco.com/suggest/squirrelsuggest.html