[Rhodes22-list] Marxism in USA - Big Al delete, Political

Rik Sandberg sanderico1 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 10:54:34 EST 2008

Ed,

Good post.

Health care: The ridiculous price of health care in this country is a
relatively simple problem. For a long time the insurance industry has
been reducing personal responsibility for the cost of health care to the
point that now for many people, there is none. Up 'til now, people have
mostly been able to get their insurance through their work or in some
cases the gov't and never have had to worry about or even see the cost
of it. They go to the doctor and pay little if anything toward the
doctors/hospital's bill. Personal responsibility has been almost
completely erased, leading to an unending supply of "customers" with no
monetary constraints at any clinic/hospital you go to. Because of this
glut of "customers" the clinics/hospitals can charge whatever they like.
Until we are to the point we are arriving at now where insurance has
gotten so expensive that many employers and even the gov't cannot
continue to offer it as a "free" benefit anymore. On health care, our
lack of responsibility has made us into our own worst enemy.

The remedy for this is simple. Get rid of health insurance altogether,
or at least, only allow high deductible major medical plans. When
everyone has to be responsible for their own medical costs, the never
ending stream of rich "customers" at the clinic/hospital with stubbed
toes or a sniffle will disappear in a matter of days. When this happens,
doctors will get hungry. To gain back "customers" again they will have
to do their work for a price that is affordable to the average
"customer", not the mega-rich insurance company.

The Clinton/Obama plans, or any other plan to make even more "free"
health care available will only continue us down the same road we are
already on. That would be the road to ruin. Let's face it, and this
should be becoming obvious to even the dullest citizen, we can't afford
much more "free" stuff.

The idea of personal responsibility for health care may sound hard
hearted at first, but in the long run it is probably the only way to
ensure that health care will ever be available for most people in the
future.

This is basically a simple supply and demand problem.

Rik

There is no magic to Free Enterprise. It is the best way to create wealth, but it does not prevent people from making mistakes. Capitalism offers people a chance to make money. But it also offers them a chance to make fools of themselves. Free Enterprise – like the rest of life – merely permits nature to take her course.

Bill Bonner