[Rhodes22-list] Coastal Living - Insurance

john Belanger jhnblngr at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 25 11:56:22 EST 2008

settle all accounts. thats all.
  i would still be attracted to a place on the shore where i could listen to the waves. thats the chance you take. part of the excitement.

Herb Parsons <hparsons at parsonsys.com> wrote:
  Sorry, I missed that implication (though I don't see how anyone would
have got that). I'm not sure what you mean "require before they leave".
What does "leaving" have to do with anything. Yes, they should be
required to pay. They should be allowed to "leave" regardless, of
whether they stay or go.

I don't know of any court challenges where insurance companies are
asking to be relieved of their obligations; however, I know of MANY
where insurance companies are saying they weren't covering what is being
claimed. That's normal.

Maybe there are cases I'm not aware of, but I agree with your basic
concept, but I'm still confused by what you mean "leaving". A company
should be allowed to shut down business, and cease operation in that
city/state/whatever. However, if the company still exists, "leaving"
that area does not, and should not, relieve them of responsibility.

Most of the claims I'm familiar with in the Katrian stricken areas have
to do with weather or not the floods were "rising water" damages (which
are typically not covered by regular home-owners insurance) or storm
caused. I see valid arguments both ways,and unfortunately, that's
something the courts WILL have to decide. The toehr big claims are for
incidental damages, which are, for the most part, scams by the lawyers.

Herb Parsons
S/V O'Jure - O'Day 25
S/V Reve de Pappa - Coronado 35