[Rhodes22-list] Political - Re. Bill Buckley & drugs - reply to Ed

john Belanger jhnblngr at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 5 17:41:28 EST 2008

i agree with your daddy, but i still drop coins in a beggars pot (ooops) on the off chance that their need might be genuine. i also agree with the rise in crime related to drug use. i always say that when you were in school, you couldn't get yourself to even like those running for class pres. etc. so why are you so upset with the choices available for office now? they are the same people, only older, (i almost said grown up). john b

Robert Skinner <robert at squirrelhaven.com> wrote:  Tootle wrote:
> I know at that time he was a chain smoker, so was he also using funny
> cigarettes or something stronger?

As it turns out, Bill, being curious, accompanied a
person in possession of some potent MJ out beyond the
three mile limit and got lit. I believe that he did
not suffer ill effect, and came to wonder what all
the fuss was about.

Personally, I have concluded that the war on drugs
began as a social war on black musicians, provided an
opportunity for Ainsley to make political hay with
ridiculous scare tactics in the '40s, and has
continued to be fertile ground for politicians since
then.

The results, aside from getting even more jerks
elected to legislatures, have been overcrowded
prisons and diversion of resources from the essential
task of protecting life and property. It could be
that the artificial scarcity of recreational
pharmaceuticals has actually increased the real
crimes of theft and assault.

My Daddy said, "Everyone has the right to go to Hell
in their own way."

I add a more Darwinist approach (following Larry
Niven and Jerry Pournelle's "Oath Of Fealty"): Think
of drug deaths as "evolution in action", and quit
financing pushers in the US, drug lords in Central
and South America, the Taliban in Afghanistan, and
others who are simply helping us eliminate the weak
strains in our gene pool.

OK, Ed - chew on that ultra-conservative manifesto
for a while.

/Robert