[Rhodes22-list] mark osterbrock Looking for a Rhodes 22

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Fri Jan 11 19:02:51 EST 2008

Mark,

Welcome to the Rhodes List.  As you must have seen in your shot time here,
there is occasionally some information on sailing or sailboats mixed in...

You indicated that you have communicated with General Boats.   You might ask
why his recycled boats cost so much.  After a boat has been sailed for
several years it gets grimy and shop worn.  It needs a lot of man hours to
clean it up, change running rigging, update or repair, and make requested
changes.

You did not tell us of your sailing experience nor your sailboat rebuilding
skills.  You may find that ideal boat for $5,000 to 10,000.  Then in the
year after acquiring that ideal boat you find that you spend another $10,000
in repairs and updates and desired equipment.

I suggest hard negotiations with Commodore Spitzer.  You may be able to wear
him out since he is 80 some years old.  What you will get is a boat that you
can sail when you get it with any updates agreed upon.

If you must acquire a used boat, check the bona fides of the seller on this
forum.  I can think of one boat for sale in Florida that  might meet your
expectations.  Search the archives for Luis Guzman.  He has a change in
marital situation that is forcing the sale.

Also see my recent post on how to search the archives:

http://www.rhodes22.org/pipermail/rhodes22-list/2008-January/046674.html

Of course if you use the method, you have the same obligation as the guy I
sent the message to.  In case you did not notice, he has not helped with
your questions yet…

Also you bring a bottle of Mt. Gay rum to sail with the Rhodes Captain
pictured:

http://www.nabble.com/file/p14767872/This%2Bmuch.JPG This+much.JPG

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA