[Rhodes22-list] The following post is Political, Religious, Educational, point of discussions, Big Al delete!

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 09:22:33 EST 2008

Herb,

Here's more info to support the theory posted yesterday that this is an
election ploy.  (Theirs, not ours, John)  -posted this morning on
pajamasmedia.com      Brad

*by Meir Javedanfar*

The release of the recent NIE report on Iran's nuclear program, together
with General Petraeus' declaration that Iran has stopped supplying weapons
to anti-U.S. Shiite militants in Iraq, was interpreted as a sign of
improvement in Tehran-Washington relations by many Iran-watchers. The
Iranian press seemed to be particularly excited. Most notable were those
representing Ayatollah Rafsanjani, who wants better relations with the West.
One of his outlets got completely carried away by the new thaw. This was
shown by an article <http://www.tiknews.net/display/?ID=52851> in Entertain
News, which quoted Russian and Swiss sources claiming that U.S. Secretary of
Defense Robert Gates had secretly met with Ahmadinejad to discuss regional
developments. Meanwhile, some Iranian officials, including Iran's Supreme
Leader <javascript:void(0)>, decided to reciprocate what they viewed as U.S.
efforts to improve relations. This was seen in Ayatollah
Khamenei<javascript:void(0)>'s
statement last week in the city of Yazd that relations between Iran and the
U.S. will not be broken "forever."

However, in a single move, the nascent improvements between the two
countries were pushed aside, and suspicion and recrimination returned to the
forefront of Iran-U.S. relations.

The new crisis centers on reports from the U.S. that on Sunday, January 6,
Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) boats buzzed three U.S. warships in
the Strait of Hormuz in an aggressive manner. The U.S. presented its case in
a video <http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/01/09/2134682.htm> that was
released by its Department of Defense. The video also showed the USS Hopper
crew asking the IRGC boats to identify themselves and their intention.
However, there was no response. The only voice contact from the IRGC side
was a message threatening the U.S. navy ship, saying that it is going to
explode in a "couple of minutes."

Immediately after that, Iran released its own
video<http://itn.co.uk/news/f357d3ec83f5f03da3e8a5dab98dcbec.html>,
which completely contradicted the U.S. version. In the Iranian video, the
IRGC boats are seen politely communicating with the U.S. ships. Furthermore,
unlike the U.S. video, the Iranian report showed the Iranian boats as
stationary. They were not behaving in an aggressive manner in any way,
shape, or form. To make a difficult case more confusing, two days after the
incident, the U.S. Fifth Fleet
said<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/01/11/wiran111.xml>that
it had "no way to know" that the explosion threat came from an Iranian
boat.

For now, the international community should be thankful that the U.S.
warships held fire. Even if there are doubts about the Iranian warning that
the ships would explode, what cannot be ruled out is the way in which the
IRGC boats were playing chicken with the U.S. ships. This was very
dangerous. The U.S. navy has been on tenterhooks since the attack on the USS
Cole <javascript:void(0)> in Yemen, which was also carried out by a small
boat <javascript:void(0)>. Furthermore, in the 1980s, Iran used many such
small boats to attack U.S. warships in the Persian Gulf <javascript:void(0)>.
Therefore, from what can be seen, the U.S. had every reason to protest and
to feel threatened.

Judging by the past behavior of Iran's Supreme Leader, he should frown upon
the IRGC's recent action, as it could have dealt a heavy and unnecessary
blow to Iran's recent diplomatic achievements . Khamenei is a calculating
strategist. To him, international opinion and consensus are important, much
more important than they were for Ayatollah Khomeini, his predecessor. This
is why Iran has been so successful in its foreign policy adventures in
Lebanon and Iraq during his term, whereas during Khomeini's term Iranian
foreign policy achieved far less.

However, when it comes to dealing with the international community, Iran's
president is not so careful. This is because Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's position
inside Iran is in a downward spiral. Inflation is twice as high as it was
when he took office. He has failed miserably in his promises to cut
unemployment and corruption. Meanwhile, Ali Larijani, his rival, seems to be
back in action. His recent trips to Egypt and Syria, as the representative
of the Supreme Leader, were taken by Ahmadinejad's supporters as a challenge
to the president's efforts to control Iran's foreign policy.

With parliamentary elections coming up on March 14, 2008, Ahmadinejad needs
to do something to improve his position. Otherwise, his supporters would
lose badly, as they did in the municipal elections <javascript:void(0)> of
December 2006. One factor which could boost his position is a conflict with
the U.S. In fact, this could be the only savior of his failing presidency.
The recent incident in the Persian Gulf could have been a move by
Ahmadinejad and his IRGC allies, who are also disappointed with Ayatollah
Khamenei's order to reduce their anti-U.S. activities in Iraq.

With eighteen months to go before Mahmoud Ahmadinejad stands for reelection
as president, it is possible that he and his IRGC allies will try similar
provocative moves, especially against Israeli and U.S. interests. Jerusalem
and Washington should be careful not to fall into Ahmadinejad's trap.
Meanwhile, Ayatollah Khamenei should ensure that his president does not take
his country into an unnecessary conflict for the sake of cheap
electioneering.

Meir Javedanfar is the co-author with Yossi Melman of "The Nuclear Sphinx of
Tehran – Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and the State of
Iran<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0786718870/pajamasmedia-20>."
He runs Middle East Economic and Political Analysis
(Meepas)<http://www.meepas.com/>