[Rhodes22-list] Politics and Science a reply to Mike W

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 10:37:59 EST 2008

Mike,

On that note, I'm going to the hangar to get my blood pressure down and my
oxygen intake up!

Attached is a short story about what the lawyers are up to these days.  BTW,
you heard it here first!  Trent Lott's brother-in-law, one of the biggest
Katrina snakes, er, I mean lawyers, has been indicted on a judicial bribery
case. Did Lott really "retire" mid-term or duck for cover while there still
was some?  Stay tuned!

Brad

-----------------------

 Posted on Wed, Jan. 09, 2008
Katrina claims get a price tag: $3,014,170,389,176,410 THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

NEW ORLEANS -- Hurricane Katrina's victims have put a price tag on their
suffering: $3,014,170,389,176,410 and counting.

That quadrillion-dollar figure represents a fraction of the roughly 489,000
claims that residents and business owners filed against the federal
government over damage from the failure of levees and flood walls from the
hurricane.

The Army Corps of Engineers says it has received 247 claims for at least $1
billion apiece, including one for an even $3 quadrillion.

"That's the mother of all high numbers," said Loren Scott, a Baton Rouge
economist.

Someone in Baker, 93 miles northwest of New Orleans, filed the claim that
inflated the total from the trillions into the quadrillions. Baker is far
from the epicenter of Katrina's destruction, but the city has a trailer park
where hundreds of evacuees have lived since the storm.

For the sake of perspective: a mere $1 quadrillion would dwarf the U.S.
gross domestic product, which Scott said was $13.2 trillion in 2007, while a
stack of 1 quadrillion pennies would reach Saturn.

Some residents may have grossly exaggerated their claims to send a message
to the corps, which has accepted blame for poorly designing the failed
levees.

"I understand the anger," Scott said. "I also understand it's a negotiating
tactic: Aim high and negotiate down."

Lawyers have advised clients not to skimp in estimating their losses from
Katrina, because the amounts listed on their claims forms can limit how much
they recover.

Daniel Becnel, Jr., a lawyer who said his clients have filed more than
60,000 claims, said measuring Katrina's devastation in dollars and cents is
a nearly impossible task.

"There's no way on earth you can figure it out," he said. "The trauma these
people have undergone is unlike anything that has occurred in the history of
our country."

The Corps released zip codes, but no names, for the 247 claims of at least
$1 billion. The list includes a $77 billion claim by the city of New
Orleans. Fourteen involve a wrongful death claim. Fifteen were filed by
businesses, including several insurance companies.

Katrina, which is blamed for more than 1,600 deaths in Louisiana and
Mississippi, is considered the most destructive storm to ever hit the U.S.
It caused at least $60 billion in insured losses and could cost Gulf Coast
states up to $125 billion, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric
Administration.

Most of the claims were filed before a deadline that coincided with
Katrina's second anniversary, but the Corps is still receiving them - about
100 claims have arrived over the past three weeks - and is feeding them into
a computer database.

The Corps says it isn't passing judgment on the merits of each claim. The
federal courts are in charge of deciding if a claim is valid and how much
compensation is warranted.