[Rhodes22-list] Please help a new Rhodes owner out

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Tue Jan 15 10:24:54 EST 2008

Matt,

If I've learned anything from this group of reprobate
sailors, it is that a good yarn will tell you which
way the wind is blowing - and it lasts longer than
casette tape.

So I've used yarn for years.  As one person pointed
out, it can be color coordinated with your boat.

Seriously, almost anything beats having to constantly
look up - and untangling/fixing a wind vane (windex).

May you have many years of joy in your fine new boat.

/Robert
> further suggestions would be appreciated!!
>
> For the record, I'm going with the Garmin GPS.  I haven't had time yet to
> look into the VHF radio, but I'll look into the 600 series VHF.  I think
> I'll use Bob Dylan "blowin in the wind" tape for the yarns . . . forget
> about a wind vane (and yes, I have a tape copy of Blowin in the wind  -  the
> irony is just too good)!!!
>
> Thanks for all the input and please keep it coming!!  As a soon-to-be new
> Rhodes owner, I can't offer any advice, but some day in the future, I hope
> I'll be able to dispense advice as well as receive it.
>
> The question of PFDs bothers me, but I'll make sure I have several Class II
> PFDs and I'll  cover my family (ie. my ass) with automatically inflating
> PFDs for them.  Any advice as to where to buy??
>
> Thanks for all your advice, and I hope to contribute more when I finally
> have the "Mr. Magoo."
>
>  Thanks again!!
>
> Matt B.
> --