[Rhodes22-list] Toys or Tools

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Wed Jan 16 08:02:50 EST 2008

Matt:

We have several Rhodies who also have/had autopilots.  Evaluate if you might
want to add autopilot and make sure that your GPS will output to an
autopilot such as Raymarine.  Ask MJM about doing this, let him correct me
but wasn't he an expert on computer interfacing?

Another approach would be a fishfinder GPS.  A fishfinder gives you better
perspective of what is down there.  Not that you would want to fish off a
sailboat, but if the wind drops off, who knows.  for example see:
http://humminbird.factoryoutletstore.com/Category/CategoryListNoCache.aspx?
Category_Id=0&search_term=gps&url_keyword=

or even better:
http://www.bestfishfinder.com/gps_fishfinder_combo.html

Since you are talking electronics and kids on board, have you considered
these?
http://www.raymarine.com/ProductDetail.aspx?SITE=1&SECTION=2&PAGE=1344&PRODUCT=3771

A former member of this list, dragged his boat from Tennessee to Miami and
sailed to Bahamas.  He used a gps autopilot, check the archives.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA
"Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is tranger than we
can imagne"  Sir Arthur Eddington