[Rhodes22-list] Knotstick

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Tue Jan 22 13:23:37 EST 2008

Ron,

We used two devices that measure "water speed" (not "velocity made good" as
gps does.)  One was a tube with a ball in it that needed to be immersed and
held perfectly vertical - a real pain and very hard to read hanging over the
side, near the water.  The second one was basically a fish scale and a small
sea anchor that was dragged behind the boat.  The effective speed (including
current) was proportional to the reading on the fish scale (1/2oz per knot
or something like that.)  I found it easy to read but difficult to calibrate
(or keep in calibration.)

There is now a commerical version available that may have solved the cal
problems (www.knotstick.com) for $46!  Just be sure that the drag line stays
clear of the prop (put it on the starboard side) and keep the disc clean;
seaweed and debris must be removed for proper operation.  Also, the location
of the drag line is important to the reading; the line should be in the
smooth flow outside of the turbulent wake for accurate readings.

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
Nissequogue River, NY

From: "Ron Singerman" <sail at tds.net> Tuesday, January 22, 2008 11:46 AM