[Rhodes22-list] small boat sailing Re: Chris Crispel

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Wed Jan 23 11:46:52 EST 2008

Chris,
A few more thoughts.

I think Steve (Slim) makes a good distinction between two kinds of
sailing. Do you want a small trailerable boat with its attendant
characteristics or do you want a more solid ocean going boat that is
less trailerable. (Most boats under 40ft. are transportable if you
have access to a crane (on both sides of the country) and a flatbed.
The real consideration in my mind is how far you have to go and
likely are you to get caught out in real weather - your definition
but in my mind "real weather" does NOT include the passing squall. If
you remember Paul Cleavenger's description of his capsize he says
that had he been able to get the bow into the wind he might have
weathered even the microburst. Note that the wave that capsized him
built in a shallow river. I don't know the depths where you might be
sailing but in true ocean depths waves won't build in a short squall.

I think the question for you may be how likely are you to get caught
out in weather systems that raise the winds above 25 knots for a day
at a time? Wind blowing 25 knots for 24 hours or more will build up
bigger waves than a sudden brief squall. Somewhere between 20 and 30
knots, the Rhodes becomes less able to tack into the wind.  The
windage of the flared hull, the freeboard and rigging combine with
the larger waves throwing you about and it all catches up to you. If
you are sailing on the ocean, what are the distances between you and
a safe harbor? Would you have enough notice of a weather system
coming in to get there?

We sail all over the Chesapeake in our Rhodes. Weather forecasting
and delivery of weather information is good. We can pick our weather
windows. Safe harbors are never more than 8 hours away.

What do folks who sail your prospective cruising grounds sail? Are
there boats under 30 ft? If folks are sailing newer small Catalinas
and Hunters, they are probably not much more seaworthy than the
Rhodes.We spend a lot of time with folks with bigger boats and while
we are perhaps more cautious where the weather is concerned (our
motto is "why get beat up if you don't have to?"), we don't miss
much. For the most part we find that when we stay in because of the
wind and waves, our friends in Catalinas stay in as well. Some of our
friends in Island Packets or the guy with the Heritage West Indies 34
will go out in higher winds and be comfortable.

Again best of luck with your decision,
Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Rock Hall, MD