[Rhodes22-list] Chris Crispel - yada yada

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Thu Jan 24 18:05:41 EST 2008

Chris,

A Fisher 37!  Wow, that is a nice boat, that is for crusing the oceans.  A
little problematic for coastal Cruising.

Chris,

I have two boats, the R22 for trailer sailing.  I can launch and retrieve it
by my self.  I am a foot shorter than you so I can sleep ok in the cabin.
The way the boat comes I doubt that you could.

If you get Stan to make you a new boat, consider that instead of a battery
compartment and water tank under the V berth have him extend that area at
least one foot to allow for a tall guy sleeping.  You would not use the V
berth except for storage anyway.  This modification would still allow for
the powder room layout.  You would just have a funky shaped V berth.

What Stan has said in his reply to you about modifications is that he makes
them every night.  What he really does is about 3 AM is to go out in the
plant to see what was done the day before and what has to be done during
that day.  Then he lays his hands on something and they just go to fiddling.
The next day he tells Ditto or Mark to change something or even has Calvin
change a mold... The Rhodes 22 does in fact change every night.  I have seen
it with me own eyes!

So, it is reasonable to extend the the bunk to allow for your size.  He just
has not seriously looked into that modification for you alone...

I also have another old boat.  It is an O'Day 26.  It was the sucessor to
the O'Day 25 which started production in 1974.  The hull is in many ways
similar to the R 22 in design.  That is it has a stubby keel with
centerboard therein.  Draft is about 30" with board up.  It is not quite as
trailerable as the R 22 but potentially if Stan ever rubbed his hands on it,
it might be.  Unfortunately, O'Day went belly up in 1986.

However, there are a number of O'Day 25's around and on the market.  They
only made the 26 a couple of years near the end.  Inside there is 5' 9'
headroom.  But on the 26 there is adequate bunk space to fit you.

This is why you need to move to Edenton and learn how to make a one off
under Stan's direction of his hull.  He will not sell the one hull he has,
it is still his dream boat.  The problem with making more 27 foot hulls is
the cost of making a mold.  Stan know how to do that.

If you had a mold, I know of a reliable company that would make the hull and
deck using vacuum bagging.  Once you had that, Stan could finish the boat.

An issue with a bigger boat is sail size.  While Stan's IMF mast come from
the foundry about 30 foot long, the inside will not accomodate a bigger
sail.  If you wanted IMF and a 30 foot mast, you would need a different
mast.  However, since Stan's mast can only have a short boom, maybe you
could make a schooner with two IMF mast?  Or at least a 27 foot ketch?

What I am telling you, instead of going to Panama, and running from
civilization, go to Edenton and build your own boat...  Stan needs the
challange...

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA
"Life hangs on a very thin thread and the cancer of time is complacency.  If
you are going to do something, do it now.  Tomorrow is too late. -"- Peter
Goss