[Rhodes22-list] Water Under V Berth? Water in side &forwardbilges; Reply...

Lou Rosenberg lsr3 at nyu.edu
Wed Jul 2 14:11:06 EDT 2008

Andrew

I don't know if this will matter but I had a small annoying leak
through my hull / deck joint last summer.  I had
to cauk it with Boatlife polyurethane sealant.   At some point I want
to change my original rub rail so I used polyurethane instead of 3M
5200.
When I get the new rub rail and do more painting,  I would use the
5200 on it.

just my 2 cent
Lou Rosenberg
sv Miracles

On Jul 2, 2008, at 12:31 PM, andrew collins wrote:

> [...]
> mooring
> location is one of swirling winds and at times the south-facing
> harbor mouth
> allows the wind to come in unobstructed. Should the genoa get
> loose, there
> would be havoc as the adjacent moorings are occupied by 30-40
> footers all
> worth 10 times what mine is worth, and then there rocks.
>
> A check of the water tank showed that it did not spill much of
> anything, but
> the ball check vent on it is only a vent, no ball.
> I drilled holes laterally into the adjacent bilge compartments and
> this
> helps the drainage into the center compartment. The forward
> compartment is
> lower than the one containing the CB trunk, but the water can be
> sponged
> from there. Sitting in the back of the boat for a while brings it
> out. So
> progress is being made and all the compartments are now only damp.
>
> thanks
>
> Andrew
>

> On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 6:04 PM, Michael D. Weisner
> <mweisner at ebsmed.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Andrew,
>>
>> The more I read about this "knock down" while moored, the more it
>> sounds
>> like water that came in the sink line and ran backwards into the
>> bilge
>> through a bilge pump with a bad check valve.  Do you have a pump
>> connected
>> to the sink discharge line?
>>
>> A few years ago, the harbormaster called me to inform me that my
>> Rhodes
>> went
>> sailing without me and was heeled over with the Genoa fully
>> deployed, at
>> anchor.  It seems that the Genoa unfurled and developed enough
>> force to
>> drag
>> our 200 lb. mushroom anchor out of the mud and about 500 feet!
>> When I got
>> on board, she was far enough over to starboard that the sink line
>> was in
>> the
>> water and we had taken on water through the bilge pump.  A new
>> pump solved
>> that problem and I never leave her without securing 2 sail ties
>> around the
>> Genoa to prevent deployment even if the furling line breaks.
>>
>> Mike
>> s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
>> Nissequogue River, NY
>>
>> From: "andrew collins" <engineerpac at gmail.com>Sent: Tuesday, July
>> 01, 2008
>> 5:16 PM
>>> Rummy
>>>
>>> It was a mix of salt and fresh. My water tank has an air vent
>>> valve with
>>> little float in it, so that should have prevented the tank from
>>> much. My curiosity is now piqued so I will visit the boat tonight
>>> and