[Rhodes22-list] motor ruminations ..... again (I know)

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Fri Jul 4 00:32:24 EDT 2008

We went with the Yamaha but our concern were more about flushing
after use. We had remote controls on the cockpit floor so we don't
use the tiller controls. Right now we never steer with the motor
though a linkage might be in our future. When we bought Fretless 10
years ago, we bought our Honda from a local dealer. We picked up the
boat in Edenton and did a few days with a borrowed motor. When we got
home we got the motor from the dealer - he had done all the prep work
in the tank. When we added remote control several years later the
dealer did the initial set-up and showed us how to install it on the
boat. When we bought the Yamaha, again the dealer did all the initial
prep in the shop, including setting up the remote controls. We ran
the electric under the cockpit seats over or around the bulkhead into
the cabin and into the compartment under the v-berth where the battery lives.

We haven't used it enough to know whether the high thrust is really
better than our old Honda which was higher thrust than most of the others.

We do like having the controls readily available. Being able to give
the engine a burst of power and then putting it in neutral while you
are steering AND watching where you are going is very helpful when
maneuvering in close confines.

Best of luck on your search,
Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless