[Rhodes22-list] cockpit sleeping

John Shulick jsbudda at verizon.net
Sat Jul 5 21:59:09 EDT 2008

Hi John,

  My solution to using the cockpit for sleeping was to buy a piece of
exterior plywood and cut it into 4 20"X 48" pieces and having a 16"X48"
leftover piece. I store them in the cockpit under the seats while under way.
To use them I remove the cushions then lay the boards across the seats
starting aft and filling in toward the cabin. Use the 16" board to adjust
the open space between the the cabin and the sleeping platform note: you
will only need 4 of the 5 boards to do the job. Then replace the cockpit
cushions and use a queen size air mattress partially inflated to fill in the
center. the pump and deflated mattress are easily stowed. The thickness of
the plywood is up to you (3/4" for me). I also remove them from the boat
when not in use or they will become soaked from the rain. If that isn't
practical stow them in the cabin when boat is in port.

John Shulick
Pgh Pa.
71 Rhodes Continental "Delilah"

Now... that leaves the problem of using the whole cockpit as a
sleeping area during nice weather.  You would probably need something
on the laz to completely stretch out.  I still think I'd us a
separate filler cushion just for that purpose that gets stored
inside.  Maybe just a piece of foam you can roll up tight and shove
in the forepeak.  Haven't got this all thought out yet.