[Rhodes22-list] cockpit sleeping

John Lock jlock at relevantarts.com
Sun Jul 6 13:50:59 EDT 2008

At 06:59 PM 7/5/2008 -0700, you wrote:
>   My solution to using the cockpit for sleeping was to buy a piece of
>exterior plywood and cut it into 4 20"X 48" pieces and having a 16"X48"
>leftover piece. I store them in the cockpit under the seats while under way.
>To use them I remove the cushions then lay the boards across the seats
>starting aft and filling in toward the cabin. Use the 16" board to adjust
>the open space between the the cabin and the sleeping platform note: you
>will only need 4 of the 5 boards to do the job. Then replace the cockpit
>cushions and use a queen size air mattress partially inflated to fill in the
>center. the pump and deflated mattress are easily stowed. The thickness of
>the plywood is up to you (3/4" for me). I also remove them from the boat
>when not in use or they will become soaked from the rain. If that isn't
>practical stow them in the cabin when boat is in port.

Thanks John, that's excellent information!  My cockpit has a teak
trim board running around the inside edge, about 3/4" inch lower than
the seat.  I've been thinking about cutting the plywood to drop down
on this edge to fill in the footwell.  Makes for much smaller pieces
to stow.  But I don't know if the plywood will stay put once we put
some weight on it ;-)  More research is required!

Cheers!

John Lock