[Rhodes22-list] John - cockpit sleeping - reinforce the lip of the seats

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Fri Jul 11 07:23:40 EDT 2008

John,

To solve Roberts dilemma, get slow setting epoxy (need slow or extra slow
because of ambient temperatures), small chip brush and some Kevlar tape (
see: http://www.raka.com/Kevlar.html).

Remove wood strips from outside.

Coat the inside/underside of the lip with epoxy and apply tape to reinforce.
Let harden but not cure, apply second coat of epoxy and second layer of
tape.  Let harden and apply another layer of just epoxy to smooth surface.
Let dry and cure and redrill the screw holes.  Reattach wood strips.

In repair jargon, one layer of epoxy and one layer of polyester tape is
considered equivalent to ¼” of marine plywood.  So you would be adding
equivalent of ½” of plywood reinforcement around edge of seats.  If you are
as big a Robert claims he is, you may want to double these instructions, and
even add reinforcing ribs (aka stringers) under the seats.

And still if in doubt, you can do as previous owner of my boat did, and add
stainless steel seat supports.  Now all you need is mosquito netting.
Previous discussions on this forum have given many suggestions therefore.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA
Axis+of+Evil.jpg