[Rhodes22-list] Dave McGee asked "Is A Towing capacity of 4, 500 pounds enough for a R22 and trailer? (Northern Virginia-MD Area)

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Tue Jul 15 07:55:42 EDT 2008

Dave,

Bill Davidge of Temperance MI., said, “4450 including, motor, gas, new
single axle trailer and every thing else I have to have to go sailing you
know pop, beer, etc.

Mary Lou said ‘on the edge’.

If you leave out the beer you will probably be safe for flat country towing
or less than 100 miles.  If you are willing to come to visit Captain Rummy
at lake Hartwell, you would probably make it but not at over 65 mph.
Vehicles are typically underrated, so I believe that you are within the
margin of safety.

However, Stan uses big clunky vans for a reason.  First thing they are rated
more towing capacity.  Second is length of tow vehicle.  A longer bed
usually means more stability on long distances, so your short bed would be
an issue.

I use a ford 150 van now to tow a 6,000 pound load.  One of Stan’s club vans
would work better, but the 150 gets the job done.  I would not deem it
necessary to buy a new vehicle to tow a Rhodes 150 reasonable distances over
reasonable roads.  Just do not plan to visit Rob Lowe up in his mountains.

Do make sure you have a properly rated hitch.  The hitch that comes with the
Pilot is wimpy.

You did great on the subject line.  Now learn to trim your replies and not
include volumes of previous posts.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA
http://www.nabble.com/file/p18462937/Gas%2BRationing%2Bstamp.gif