[Rhodes22-list] The definitive Get-Rid_of_Wasps_Bible

elle watermusic38 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 15 13:53:41 EDT 2008

Mark.

Yes, I had wasps (mud daUbers) and the other, more aggressive ones, living aboard my boat. After being badly stung twice, I decided that it was me or them, & it wasn't gonna be me....

First thing I did was keep two cans of wasp spray (one that shoots a stream & one that sprays a broad area) in a Rubbermaid container under the cockpit seat. When I went aboard I got it out first. I'd zap any that decided to check me out when I boarded...and it was usually about a dozen.

I also put mothballs in bags everywhere they could hide...in the cubbies in the coaming, on the engine life, in the laz, in the cabin. It stunk to high heaven for a while but that was the point. Insects hate the camphor.

Then I bought a cheapie plastic painter's tarp and Raid low-residue foggers. (Make sure they are low residue....so there's not a lot of powder to clean up.) They come 3 or 4 in a pack.

Keeping the cockpit and laz open (pick a time when there's no rain forecast!) I sealed the plastic tarp over the cabin , cockpit & laz area...including the cubbies, leaving a space for me to go in to set off the foggers.

Then I took a couple deep breaths, went under the plastic, set one fogger in the cabin, then one on the cockpit floor & got the heck out.

I left it overnite & into the next day.

I swept up the wasps that littered the cabin & cockpit floor, then got the spray that shoots a long stream & sprayed up behind the cockpit seats & as far up behind the coamings as it would go. Any nests that were there hopefully were saturated w/spray.

That was a month or so...i saw one circling the boat the last time I was out...so they may be coming back....

elle