[Rhodes22-list] Tom's Boom Pin Question - My solution

Arthur H. Czerwonky czerwonky at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 16 09:55:01 EDT 2008

Rummy,

Given the unavailability of the car, and hopefully it is available from Stan, I stand by my interim recommendation.  A replacement car is obviously the better long term choice.  Additionally, I would have the boom supported in either upper or lower position by some means, if a replacement car is not fixed to the mast.  What better temporary alternative do you recommend to a properly fitted screw?  A fastpin is possible but may be too large.  In no case would I allow the boom to be supported be the smaller PT fixture.

We have have a different approach to sail management. Underway solo, if winds get heavy enough, I will first first shorten the mainsail and headsail versus lowering the boom.  I would never leave the helm or cockpit in heavy or gusty wind conditions - not good headwork.  If I had a reliable crew I might then lower the boom, and then possibly readjust the sails. Best resolution of all, as we have learned, is to anticipate wind conditions before getting underway.

I also prefer the cockpit mobility available with the boom up.

Ultimately, the greatest attribute of a good skipper depends on brain mass, not body mass.

Chow,

Art