[Rhodes22-list] report on our reconditioned 175 genoa

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Mon Jul 21 22:12:25 EDT 2008

I've reported here before that we sent our 10 year old 175 genoa off
to Sailcare for cleaning and repair of the stitching. There were also
some places where the Sunbrella UV protective strip had chafed
through probably when trailering. As part of the repairs to the sail
we decided to replace the Sunbrella with titanium dioxide coated
Dacron rather than Sunbrella. It doesn't last as long as Sunbrella
and it's only available in white but it is a lot lighter in weight.
We figured it's a 10 year old sail so not lasting as long wasn't as
much of a concern. We finally went sailing this past week in light
air (probably no more than 5 knots) and can report that the sail
holds its shape better  - significantly better with the lighter
weight sacrificial strip. When we hit small waves or the wind got
lighter the sail was less likely to collapse on itself and when we
got rocked by waves from power boats the sail refilled more quickly.
We are very pleased with it.

Mary Lou
1991 R22  Fretless
Rock Hall, MD