[Rhodes22-list] Need opinions...deadline approaching

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Wed Jul 23 10:37:41 EDT 2008

Elle,

Focus and composition are much better in:
http://www.rhodes22.org/pipermail/rhodes22-list/attachments/20080723/5a05b71f/attachment-0001.jpg

Without being overly critical, I would add the following observations.  I
might crop out the tree trunk and some of the very top branches to reduce
distractions, although I like the hanging branch.  I wish that you had
better depth of field in these beautiful shots.  The bird is in good focus
but the leaves are not (you should manually focus since the automatic focus
in most cameras is not perfect.)  In future shots, you might want to try
"stopping down" the lens a bit (use the aperture priority setting) to
increase the depth of field, bringing the leaves into focus.  You may also
wish to increase the ISO setting a bit, although this may introduce more
noise, particularly at high settings.  This was shot at ISO-200, so you have
quite a bit to go before it is a problem.

Need I ask if you hand held the 170mm, 1/125s, F/9 shot?

Since you shoot with a Nikon D80, all of this is possible.

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
Nissequogue River, NY

From: "elle" <watermusic38 at yahoo.com>Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2008 10:13 AM