[Rhodes22-list] It Passed

elle watermusic38 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 23 12:28:19 EDT 2008

FINALLY -- COMMON SENSE PREVAILS
In a remarkable display of bipartisan support for recreational boating,
both the United States House and Senate passed S. 2766 on Tuesday, "The
Clean Boating Act of 2008", which will permanently restore a
long-standing exemption for recreational boats from permitting
requirements under the Clean Water Act. The legislation now goes to the
White House for the President's signature.

Congressional action was spawned by a U.S. District Court decision in
September 2006 under which an estimated 17 million recreational boats
would have fallen under Clean Water Act permit requirements effective
September 30, 2008. The permit would have dictated maintenance and
operation procedures and potentially subjected boaters to citizen
lawsuits as well as a penalty system designed for industrial polluters.

"This is a fabulous victory for common sense and it just goes to show
what can be done when the boating public, the marine industry and its
representatives in Congress row together in a bipartisan way," said
BoatU.S. President Nancy Michelman.