[Rhodes22-list] Snakes on a boat

John Lock jlock at relevantarts.com
Thu Jul 24 16:51:17 EDT 2008

Snake pics reminds me of the encounter I had early this spring on my
boat.  Over the winter, leaves tend to blow in from shore and
accumulate under the cockpit seats.  So when spring arrives I always
have the chore of cleaning them out.

I had just finished doing that particular chore and went down to the
boat several days later to take some parts down.  When I stepped into
the cockpit and the boat rocked, I heard what sounded like leaves
rustling under the seats again.  I thought "That can't be, I just
cleaned under there".

So I leaned down to look and found a 3-foot banded water snake curled
up in the corner.  The "rustling" sounds was him moving around when
the boat started rocking.  OK, so now the problem becomes how to get
him out.  Fortunately I had made a snake stick several years ago at
the old house for removing such critters.  Just a nylon strap looped
at the end of a stick.

So I fetched that and snagged him around the body and hauled him on
deck.  He happily flopped back into the water.  Not sure how long
he'd been in there, coulda been 3-4 days.

Anyway, next day I caught him again!  This time he had just crawled
across the dock line and was making himself comfortable up on the
coaming.  That's when I figured out what had happened previously.  He
was hauling himself out to the sunny spot near the stern to warm up
in the mornings.  A passing wake must have knocked him into the cockpit before.

Removal was easy this time.  He took off like a... warm
snake!  Hasn't been back since.

Cheers!

John Lock