[Rhodes22-list] Gone West

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 08:03:55 EDT 2008

Rummy,

The 2 x 4 with the bumpers came with the boat.  I used it to keep from
backing into the dock until the ropes rotted off and then never re-installed
it again.

We expected his wife to go first, she's been in poor health for the last
several years.  Mr. Shen was slowing down but still did consulting work and
had recently purchased an electric bicycle with an enclosure - it looked
like a Chinese version of an Amish buggy.  Last month while we were in
Beijing, he pedaled/batteried Cora all over the neighborhood.  She looked
like the Empress Dowager riding in her carriage behind her Grandfather
coolie. If anyone had ever earned a peaceful and painless death, he
certainly did.

I'll tell you a funny story that happened here a few years ago.  My builder
buddy (Joe) and Mr. Shen were both the same age, about 70 at the time.  Joe
and I were building a spec home together and Fan's father enjoyed inspecting
the progress.  He knew nothing about home building but a mechanical engineer
is after all an engineer.  The three of us stopped for a beer one time and
the waiter (probably on drugs but certainly a dumbass) started making fun of
Mr. Shen because of his speech impediment and limited English.  Joe, a
retired fireman, got up from the table and threatened to take his head off
(and he had the will and ability to do it).  Mr. Shen,  a quick study of
people and situations, started laughing at the prospect of a 70 year-old man
administering an "ass-whooping" to a 20 year-old kid, gave us all one of
those "eye smiles" of his that communicated, "none of this matters" and
diffused the whole incident.  Personally, I'd liked to have watched the
"ass-whooping".

Brad