[Rhodes22-list] Rhodes 22 Gunkholing

Joe Babb joe.babb at comcast.net
Mon Jul 28 08:35:38 EDT 2008

Hi Rob,
Sharon and I went sailing on Albemarle this past May.  One fairly close
destination is Columbia across the sound from Yeopim River.  It's free
to tie up to the town dock.  We highly recommend Mac's Back Door Oyster
Bar.   Email macsbackdoor_at_earthlink.net for opening times.  It was
noisy, but the food was great.  Not sure if there's a pizza joint in town.

I'm assuming you will be renting Stan's demo boat which is docked behind
his house, So Columbia is the closest.  If you are putting a boat in at
the ramp near the plant, then Edenton is close by with plenty of good
eating.  Try Sean's or Chero's.

But even sailing from Stan's house you can make Edenton in a few hours.
Also, across the sound from Edenton, tucked back in the trees on Kendrik
Creek is Mackey's Marina.  A new resturant is now open at Mackey's on
Thurs, Fri, and Sat.  We didn't get to try it so don't know how good it is.

Across from Edenton is Salmon Creek which provides a great achorage.  At
least in May it was quiet.

Take bug spray.  Even in May we found lots of bugs, or they found us.
I'm thinking August is probably worse.  Make sure Stan supplies you with
fuel for the stove, fenders, and docking lines.  There were quite a few
crab pots out on the sound when we were there.  Don't know how bad
they'll be in August.

Hope this helps.  Chart 12205 covers the area.
Joe