[Rhodes22-list] OK so how long should it take to rig / unrig ...

Steven Alm stevenalm at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 19:28:57 EDT 2008

Mike,

Yeah, I would allow an hour but with practice you can do it in 30-45 min
depending on a few variables.  If you plan to drop the mast, trailer
somewhere then launch, leave the GB crane attached.  Tie it down to the bow
cleat for travel.  You can also leave the forward lower shroud extensions in
place.  You can leave the rudder/tiller on but you have to secure it and you
have to tie up the rudder with something more substantial than the rudder's
up-haul. I use a dock line wrapped around the rudder and tied to the stern
rail. You can travel with the mast up on the crutch but you need about 12
feet clearance.  Make sure the crutch is tied down and the mast is tied down
to it.  I coil the back stays and hook them on the crutch "ears" and tie
them up and tie the mast down with the back stay tensioning line.  I use the
topping lift line to tie the mast to the bow pulpit and I use the jib
reefing line to tie the boom and jib to the mast.

I've heard that Stan and Elton have a way of packing up the stays with a
little masking tape that breaks away when you raise the mast but I don't
have any details about that.

The time rigging and de-rigging is also dealing with pulling out the
trailer's tongue extension at the ramp.  I do this without disconnecting
from the vehicle.  Chock the trailer wheels, pull the pins and have a helper
push the pins in at the end when you drive forward slowly--or reverse to put
the extension back in.  But you have to use the tongue jack to take the
strain off the tongue to do this.

But it's not a race.  Take your time and do everything right.  Lord knows
I'm the expert on this--see earlier post on my stupidity.

Hope this helps.

Slim