[Rhodes22-list] OK so how long should it take to rig / unrig ...

Rick Lange SloopBlueHeron at ISP.Com
Mon Jul 28 21:19:31 EDT 2008

Paperwork, schmaperwork.  I was accused of being a terrorist by
ODNR and its all because of Stan.
This spring while I was showing
off my boat still on the hard to a friend, he noticed my registration
sticker had expired.  Normally, ODNR sends a reminder so they get their
money and you don't have to remember to renew.
When I called the
Cleveland office, they said I wasn't sent a renewal because my boat ID
number is suspicious.  They said I had 2 weeks to get my butt into their
office with a rubbing of the plate or they were sending in the Feds.  That
was in mid April.
Well, April turned cold so I put if off.  About an
hour before my deadline, I tried rubbing with a crayon.  That didn't turn
out very well because the plate is right up against the rub rail so I only
got the lower half.  Then I tried with a pencil, but the paper kept
slipping around making it look like an absolute forgery.  In desperation,
I took a picture with my cell phone.
I walked into the ODNR office
sweating like a terrorist hoping my cell phone picture would be accepted.
Turns out, the lady was very nice and she did accept my picture.  She
also explained the whole problem was the boat construction was started one
year and completed the next.  That made the number appear like it was made
up by someone with evil intent.
It all makes sense now because the
PO bought the boat new from Stan at the Cleveland boat show held every
year in late January.  Stan must have started building in early December.
Then being the Enlightened Capitalist he is, he shut down for Hanukkah;
and finished the boat in early January.
I hope Stan now understands
being an EC is an oxymoron that he will quickly desert, giving his
customers relief from persecution from Big Bro.
Rick

> We just took delivery of our 1993 Rhodes - recycled in 2004 and
recycled
> again in 2008 - from Stan 7/19. We're working through
some paperwork
> issues
> prior to being able to launch
in Ohio waters; a long, sad story of
> bureaucratic torture - I
may tell it when the pain is not so fresh and
> it's

actually over. Anyway, since I can't legally splash the boat, I practiced

> rigging for sail and unrigging for trailering a few times. It
pretty much
> takes me an hour single handed doing a trailer rig
similar to the one the
> GB
> crew did to get us ready
to tow the boat home. So, my question is, should

budget an hour rigging time at each end of a day of trailer sailing? Or,

> are there tricks, toys, tips, experience, that will reduce
this?

> Mike Cheung s/v Muireann 1993 Rhodes 22
Recycled 2004 Rerecycled 2008
> --